This post contains affiliate links. If you’d like to purchase a recommended product, please use the links to support this blog. It doesn’t cost you anything extra, it simply allows me to continue posting. Thank you for your support!
Apple Cider Vinegar or ACV has been widely used for centuries. In ancient Greece, Hippocrates prescribed it mixed with a bit of honey to help cure coughs and colds. In the 17th century, Europeans began using vinegar medicinally in syrups or as a gargle to kill germs. This fermented tonic been shown to keep blood sugar in check, amp up weight loss, improve digestion, and so much more!
My favorite way to use ACV is with our weekly detox baths. I add a splash of ACV to a hot bath along with 3 drops of Ginger in a cup of Epsom salt. Soak for a little bit and enjoy!
Following are 6 Apple Cider Vinegar Benefits:
- Regulates Blood Sugar Levels – In one study, vinegar consumption was found to decrease blood sugar levels by an average of 31 percent after eating white bread. Similarly, an animal study showed that giving diabetic rats ACV for four weeks was found to significantly reduce blood sugar levels.
- Enhances Weight Loss – There is a plethora of research out there confirming the benefits of apple cider vinegar for weight loss. In one study, consuming just two tablespoons per day of ACV over 12 weeks resulted in nearly 4 pounds of weight loss with no other modifications to diet or lifestyle.
Studies show that ACV may also increase satiety, which can help reduce intake and amp up weight loss. In fact, one study showed that drinking apple cider vinegar actually decreased total caloric intake by up to 275 calories over the course of the day.
- Lowers Cholesterol – Apple cider vinegar can promote heart health by helping to keep cholesterol levels low. An animal study out of Iran showed that supplementing rats with ACV was able to reduce bad LDL cholesterol while also increasing beneficial HDL cholesterol.
- Improves Skin Health – ACV contains specific components like acetic acid, lactic acid, succinic acid and citric acid, all of which have been shown to inhibit the growth of Propionibacterium acnes, the specific strain of bacteria responsible for causing acne. These beneficial components may also reduce scarring. A study in the Journal of Cosmetic Dermatology showed that treating acne scars with lactic acid for three months led to improvements in the texture, pigmentation and appearance of treated skin as well as a lightening of scars.
- Reduces Blood Pressure – Apple cider vinegar benefits your blood pressure levels, helping to keep your heart healthy and strong. An animal study in Japan showed that giving rats acetic acid, the main component in vinegar, resulted in reduced levels of blood pressure. Another animal study had similar findings, demonstrating that vinegar effectively blocked the actions of a specific enzyme that raises blood pressure.
- Relieves Symptoms of Acid Reflux – Acid reflux is often a result of having low levels of stomach acid. If this is the case for you, drinking apple cider vinegar may help provide relief from acid reflux symptoms by introducing more acid into the digestive tract to prevent acid backflow.
What will you use apple cider vinegar for? Share below!
Stock up on apple cider vinegar and other staple ingredients you’ll need to make your own DIY items by checking out the Top 10 Skincare Ingredients. They’re so much better for you and save you money at the same time!
Want a behind the scenes peek into how to use essential oils in your everyday life?
Follow me @elisaingram on Instagram.
Love and wellness,