The average woman applies over 300 chemicals a day to her body just through shampoo, deodorant, body wash, soaps, perfumes, makeup and hair spray. By themselves they are said to be safe individually, but who’s looking at them collectively???
Nobody says to themselves, “Let me find products that can disrupt my family’s endocrine systems.” If you’re like me, you just thought what’s in the store has to be safe or it wouldn’t be there. Fortunately, it’s really simple to make your own personal care products with items you already have. Here are my top 10 must haves for my skincare routine:
- Baking Soda – This is one of the most versatile ingredients for natural skincare. It makes a gentle exfoliant and can be used for DIY toothpastes and deodorants.
- Coconut Oil – If you were going to have just one natural skincare ingredient, coconut oil would be it! It’s great as a natural moisturizer and to use in hair conditioners. It doesn’t hurt that it smells amazing too!
- Essential Oils – Although I didn’t start using essential oils for my personal care, I’ve grown to find them invaluable in all my DIY projects. Lavender is great for calming, tea tree oil is great for acne, rosemary and cedarwood are favorites for hair care, and there are a gazillion more oils with even more uses!
- Bentonite Clay – From your face, to your teeth and your armpits, this clay is a healing and detoxing clay. It helps draw out toxins and impurities which makes it perfect for many DIY projects.
- Castile Soap – Sometimes you just need good old plain soap made with ingredients you can pronounce! It’s gentle on skin and easy to use. I make my own foam soaps, bath gels, sugar scrubs and so much more.
- Epsom Salts – Did you know that epsom salts are named after a small town in England in 1618?? And they are widely used today! They are a must for hot baths to soothe sore muscles.
- Activated Charcoal – Activated charcoal can be messy but it’s great detoxifying properties make it perfect for DIY face masks. People also use it for their DIY toothpastes.
- Beeswax Pastilles – Beeswax is an emulsifier and a key ingredient used to thicken beauty products. It’s perfect to use in lip balms and salves.
- Avocado Oil – I used to use fractionated coconut oil as my carrier oil for my roller balls. Lately, however, I prefer using avocado oil. It is rich in vitamin E and seems to be less greasy.
- Aloe Vera – Aloe Vera is full of antioxidants and is great for irritated skin. You can use it in a moisturizer, face wash and sunburn soother.
You can truly use these ingredients to replace just about any skincare products you need without harmful chemicals that are so much better for you and your family. Pretty soon you’ll be making all your own products too, and save money as well!